Let Me Catch You Up

Well, hello. Missed me?

I haven’t posted for quite a while. Life seems to have gotten away from me – AGAIN, and now here we are at the end of February.

Where have I been?

Hmm… let me see. I had to take a little hiatus away from the news and from social media after the US elected Trump as the next President of the United States. I was in shock and denial for quite a while. And I honestly couldn’t stomach seeing his face, nor could I tolerate anything that he had to say after he was elected.  It’s only been just a few weeks ago that I’ve been able to scroll through the news again to catch up with what’s been going on in the US.

I went home for the Christmas. It was wonderful, as always, to spend the holidays with friends and family.

I got some good runs in while I was in Houston.  I ran 3x a week. I even  got to run with my sis a couple of times. And my nieces and I entered into neighborhood 5K race. I’m so proud of these girls for finishing the race.  They rocked.

I realized after the second week of running  that my Achilles tendon was hurting again, and with Spring running season right around the corner, I put myself on a self-imposed running ban for 6 weeks. Yikes!

I have to be honest and say that I haven’t been so good with my training since I’ve been back. I let myself be swept away with a new job and copious amounts of work.  I feel like I have only existed to work.  And, that’s not a good thing. Not for my health, nor for my sanity.

When I work like that, I let everything go by the wayside. No blogging. No training.  No rest for the weary. I have been known to forget to eat and certainly give up on sleep so that I can get into the office at the dark and early hour of 6am. Yepp, I know. Call me crazy.

I never realize the negative effect that lack of sleep and lack of food can have on my body until I run. Then, it hits me.

This past Tuesday, I decided to take myself off the self-imposed ban. What could one little 5k run on the treadmill hurt?

So, I packed my little gym bag Monday night. I was super excited for Tuesday. It was gonna be great.

Except that it wasn’t.

I had worked until 11:30pm Monday night, with only one meal that day. I was in bed around 12:30am and at the office by 6am.

By the time Tuesday evening rolled along, I had to drag myself to the gym and onto the treadmill.

I was out of breath. I couldn’t focus.  I couldn’t even finish 2 km. What the hell?

So, of course, I was really down and depressed….until my trainer reminded me that I hadn’t exactly been eating and sleeping as I should.


R&R, anyone?

This past week has been winter week vacation in Oslo.  I took the last several days to go skiing in Trysil with family and friends.

We skied.

We swam.

We skied. (Here’s my triumphant friend, Tracey)

And there was even time for a couple of early morning runs.

On Friday, I did 4 x 4min on, 2 min off. On Sunday, I did 6 x 4min on, 2 min off. And this time, there wasn’t any huffing and puffing. I was focused. I was relaxed. And I finished.

Let me tell you, I feel goooood!  I feel energized and I’m looking forward to the next run.

Well, it’s getting late and I’ve got to get up early in the morning for some strength training with Tony Horton.

Until next time…


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *